Call us:
      You are Here :: Home >>    About IHMA >>  Student Information
Student Information

Entry Requirements


All domestic and international students wishing to study at IHMA must be at least 18 years of age.

Recogntion of Prior Learning (RPL)

RPL is offered by IHMA. Students wishing to take advantage of RPL should complete a RPL application form and submit it to the receprion at our Richmond Campus. A RPL application lodgment is free of charge. Charges will be calculated for the delivery and assessment process required for each different case.
As IHMA uses commerical resources for RPL a minimum charge of $527.00 applies for the resources. All other charges will be calculated prior ro the commencement of the RPL process. All charges must be paid in advance of the RPL process.

English Language Requirements

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score average of 5.5 (no less than 5 in any band) or equivalent - for information on IELTS please check the IELTS web site.
Students with an overall band level of 5.0 may be eligible to undertake an English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) English language course in Australia prior to attending their nominated course. Please contact IHMA management for information on this option.
If necessary, IHMA may use other means of assessing English language proficiency, such as a TOEFL pass, an ELICOS pass or a structured interview with the Executive Director.

Academic Level

IHMA requires International Students to have a minimum education standard equivalent to Australian year 9 secondary education for entry into a Certificate III programme and equivalent to year 10 for direct entry into a Certificate IV or a Diploma programme. Australian students that have acceptable levels of English and Mathematics may gain direct entry into an IHMA course, at any level, irrespective of their prior Academic achievements.
  • For international students, the required academic level will be determined by the student’s visa assessment level, as stated by DIBP, but no less than that required for domestic students as stated above – please check the DIBP student visa checklist page.
Should a student wish to have their overseas qualification/s assessed they can apply to the following assessment bodies within Australia:
Academic and Vocation qualifications
Vocational qualifications and experience

Residency Requirement

Australian Citizenship or Australian Permanent Residency
Valid 572 Student Visa - 573 or 574 Student Visa holders may be eligible under joint ECoE arrangements - see the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)'s student visa pages and on-line student visa application option.
Valid Refugee Visa
Other sub classes of visas as approved by DIAC
For more information on residency requirements please contact an Australian registered migration lawyer. To locate an Australian registered migration lawyer please select the following link:

Health Insurance

All international students are required to have a current Overseas Student Health Cover.  IHMA is responsible to ensure that all students maintain current coverage.

Student Transfer Policy (Change of education provider)

IHMA adheres to a policy where the provider must not knowingly enroll a student wishing to transfer from another registered provider's course prior to the student completing 6 months of his or her principal course of study except where:
the original registered provider has ceased to be registered or the course in which the student is enrolled has ceased to be registered,
the original registered provider has provided a written letter of release,
the original registered provider has had a sanction imposed on its registration by the Australian Government or state or territory government that prevents the student from continuing his or her principal course, or
any government sponsor of the student considers the change to be in the student's best interest and has provided written support for that change.
For more detailed information on the IHMA transfer policy please contact the IHMA Director of Vocational Studies.

School aged dependants

International students or intending International Students should be aware that Australian law mandates your obligations to ensure that any school aged dependants accompanying you to be enrolled into a school. In the state of Victoria, the Education Reform Act 2006 defines "school age" as a child not less than six (6) years of age and no more than sixteen (16) years of age. Your options for the schooling of your school-aged dependants are:
Government Schools
Non-Government Schools (including schools of different religions)
Further information can be found on the Victorian Department of Education -
For more information, including school fees, for Victorian Government Schools please select the following link: Private primary and secondary school fees vary widely and therefore it is essential that you contact the private school/s directly to determine the costs. One useful link for locating private schools is:
Please note: Some visa subclass holders may be required to pay full school fees for dependant school aged children. Please check with the school you wish to enroll your school aged dependant/s into for advice. Further information can be found at External Site Link

Work Permits while studying with IHMA

International students may apply for a work permit after starting an IHMA course. Currently, a work permit will allow a student to work for a maximum of twenty hours per week during semester and full-time during semester breaks. Please see DIAC's online work permit application page.

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Regulatory Framework

The ESOS framework is a Commonwealth Government Regulatory Framework to ensure International Students obtain a fair and reasonable return for the education investment while studying in Australia. To find our more about the protection that international students can expect under the ESOS framework, please follow the link to the ESOS web site: ESOS Framework web page
All prospective students must read the 'ESOS framework - providing quality education and protecting your rights' document prior to accepting an IHMA letter of offer and/or prior to sending fees to IHMA. The ESOS Framework document is available on the following link: ESOS Framework download

Entry Requirements

To gain an insight into the indicative costs of living in Australia, in a range of languages please click on the following link: Living External Site Link

Entry via agents of IHMA

To enroll with IHMA, a student can easily complete an application form and lodge the form with the institute via mail, email, fax or in person. However, if a student wishes to use a contracted agent of IHMA they can contact one of the following agents.

Student Behavior Policy

IHMA students must adhere to the following standards, rights and policy. Please select the following link to access the IHMA student behavior policy and procedure: IHMA Student Behavior P&P

Student Support Services and Contact Officers

Contact details for IHMA Student Support Services and IHMA Contact Officers can be found on the IHMA Web Page 'Contact Us'.
Further information and other contact officers can be found in the following download - Student Information, Services and Support Manual.

Student Safety

Students should take care of their own personal safety and of those around them, at all times. Recent media reports and experience of IHMA students has shown that there may be a threat to students that travel the public transport system (particularly train/rail) late at night in Melbourne and in some of Melbourne's suburbs. There are a number of things students can do to avoid the threat of violence/injury against them:
Avoid traveling alone on the public transport system late at night.
Don't arrive at the departing train station more than 5 minutes prior to train departure. This requires that you prepare yourself by obtaining a timetable and seeking assistance to properly interpret the timetable. You should also seek advice on emergency procedures and security contact numbers in case you need assistance. Put these phone numbers in your mobile phone under the 'favorites' option.
When you arrive at the train station stay under the view of the surveillance cameras where possible.
Avoid drinking alcohol excessively or frequenting places where others are known to consume alcohol excessively. Some Night Clubs, Hotels and other popular venues may be places of threat or danger - do your own research prior to going to one of these places. If you experience trouble in any of these places, leave the threat scene immediately and seek the assistance of security staff where possible and then catch a taxi home. Avoid retaliation or engaging others in a fight or argument as these generally worsen and may incite others to become involved and then lead to violence and a situation where you may not be able to easily extract yourself or your colleagues.
Avoid taking drugs of any type if you intend to go out at night. If you must take prescription drugs for a medical condition, please check the product information sheet for possible side effects prior to driving, consuming alcohol or taking other drugs.
If you require assistance due to excessive alcohol consumption, taking drugs or other, you should call 000 and notify the operator of your location, name and the situation in which you find yourself.
If you are involved in a violent encounter or feel that you are at threat of violence or injury you should dial 000 immediately and notify the operator of your location, name and the situation in which you find yourself.

Student Support Services - Availability

These support services are available and within close proximity to IHMA:
English Language Tuition
English Language Tuition can be arranged by contact the IHMA reception.
Hawthorn - Melbourne English Language Centre is IHMA's preferred English Language Tuition provider.
Hawthorn - Melbourne is located at 442 Auburn Road Hawthorn
Ph (03) 9810 321
Student Counseling - Complaint handling and Dispute resolution
IHMA offers an affordable student counseling service to assist students in dealing with Disputes and Complaints. Please contact the Executive Director for a referral and details of cost minimisation. For further information please see IHMA's Student Handbook.
International Student Care Service (ISCS)
Services include counselling, accommodation information, welfare assistance, referral services and general advice on orienting international students into Victoria.
International students can phone the ISCS 24 hours a day or visit the centre during business hours.
19 - 21 Argyle Place South Carlton
Ph 1800056449
Study Melbourne Website
Victorian Government Website containing information and links about Melbourne and services available to International students.
Career Guidance Counsellor:
Adult Career Development, Level 11 459 Collins st. Melbourne
Ph (03) 9629 6333
Richmond Full Dental Care, 233 Swan St. Richmond
Ph (03) 9428 6229
Ph 131 881
Police, Fire & Ambulance Emergency Services:
Dial 000 Immediately.Ph 131 881
Poisons Information
Ph 131 126
General Practitioner (Lady Doctors also qualified for the treatment of Children):
Church Street Medical Center, 300 Church St. Richmond
Ph (03) 9421 4888
IHMA is an agent for Medibank Private Overseas Health Cover for international students
To arrange OSHC with IHMA please speak to the Student Support at IHMA reception.
Migration Advice:
Serious Migration matters should be immediately brought to the attention of Migration Lawyers.
FCG Legal is IHMA's preferred office for Migration Law advice.
FCG legal is located at 18 Drummond St. Carlton
Ph:(03) 8660 4700
Medibank Private
24 Hour emergency advice and assistance - short term assistance that is free to Medibank Private members.
ph: 1800 234 601
Legal Advice
Serious legal matters should be immediately brought to the attention of lawyers.
Hopkins Layers are IHMA's preferred office for legal advice and advocacy
Hopkins Lawyers are located at Level 40, 140 William Street Melbourne
Ph (03) 9607 8279
Legal Aid (Victoria):
Provides free general information over the phone about the law.
Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.15 pm
Ph (03) 9269 0120 or 1800 677 402
Library Services
The required Didasko delivery and assessment resources for each course run by IHMA are available at low cost directly from the college. Free Internet access is also available on campus.
Library services are available in our Richmond campus however this library is limited to Hospitality subject matter and consists mainly of recipe books, text books, magazines, journals etc. Other library services are in close proximity to the Richmond Campus - 415 Church Street Richmond. Victoria has an extensive range of library services that are open to International Students. Please check the following web site for more information on Richmond and surrounding Public Library Services - External Site Link
Life Line (24 Hours per day, 7 days per week - free service (local call cost)):
Provides free 24 hour counseling service in relation to people in need of emotional support.
Provides information of other support services that are available around Australia.
Some of the issue catered for are suicide prevention and support, abuse and violence, family and relationship issues, mental health concerns, loneliness, drug and alcohol problems, hardship, finance etc.
Ph 131 114
Melbourne Clinic, Suite 12 140 Church St. Richmond
Ph (03) 942 014 77
Asian Translations
Asian Technical Translations Pty Ltd
Ph (03) 94289156
Translating and Interpreting Service:
Ph 131 450

Updated: 29-Jan-2018 11:00
Australian Academics Pty Ltd © All rights reserved
RTO Registration Number: 21496 CRICOS Registration Number: 02601C